Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Homosexual Behavior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Homosexual Behavior   Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Is homosexuality biologically innate or a learned behavior?

I personally believe it is an acquired behavior as I've seen no proof of a "gay" gene.

I'll illustrate my opinion later on. For now I'm curious what other people here think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:55 pm

It is both biologically-genetic and socially-memetic.

First, it must be genetically possible for a male to be physically attracted to another male, which is not always passed on to some individuals. In other words, some men just are not attracted at all to other men.

Second, once it is genetically possible for a certain male who may or may not be inclined to sexually engage other males, then such inclinations must be reinforced through popular culture. If homosexuality is accepted, then the homosexuals may act out on their impulses.

Bi-sexuality, orgies, and polygamy are also somethings to consider in this context.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 540
Age : 51
Location : The Edge
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Homosexuality, like many other mutations, is a genetic predisposition that, if given the right circumstances, is cultivated into fruition or....fruitition. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://calicantsar.blogspot.com/
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:49 am

If people think homosexuality is biological or genetical what exactly is the evidence for such a position?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
Satyr
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 540
Age : 51
Location : The Edge
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:00 am

The Fool wrote:
If people think homosexuality is biological or genetical what exactly is the evidence for such a position?
That despite being socially ostracized or them being genetically unfit, the condition persists as a human mutation.

A social phenomenon with genetic effects, perhaps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://calicantsar.blogspot.com/
Advocatus Diaboli
Active Idealist
Active Idealist


Male
Number of posts : 68
Age : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:33 pm

You can also see that people are gay. I mean most gay people have a real gay face, you know? Gay movements, gay way of talking (gay lisp), gay expressions; all this stuff seems constitutional.

I also think it's difficult to categorised this sort of thing. I doubt that there's one kind of homosexuality. It seems to me that you can have people who are really gay, like as an authentic sexual position, and people who are "gay", i.e. mentally disordered perverts, and it seems like the two blend a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepthought
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 am

The Fool wrote:
Is homosexuality biologically innate or a learned behavior?

I personally believe it is an acquired behavior as I've seen no proof of a "gay" gene.

I'll illustrate my opinion later on. For now I'm curious what other people here think.
Homosexuality should be studied as part of the natural eschatology of the world. In that context it is neither innate or learned, but symbolic of the eventual death of nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 am

deepthought wrote:
The Fool wrote:
Is homosexuality biologically innate or a learned behavior?

I personally believe it is an acquired behavior as I've seen no proof of a "gay" gene.

I'll illustrate my opinion later on. For now I'm curious what other people here think.
Homosexuality should be studied as part of the natural eschatology of the world. In that context it is neither innate or learned, but symbolic of the eventual death of nature.

Please elaborate. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:35 am

I understand some people here are saying that homosexuality is a genetic mutation or innate biological position.

Does anybody have any links to back this claim up? Any evidence?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
Observed Observer
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 pm

If one identical twin in homosexual the other is 50% likely to be homosexual. The statistics suggest it probably both nurture and nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Observed Observer wrote:
If one identical twin in homosexual the other is 50% likely to be homosexual. The statistics suggest it probably both nurture and nature.
That would be proof.

If you find a pair of twins where one is gay and one is straight, then the answer must be that homosexuality is both genetic and memetic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Observed Observer
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Unreasonable wrote:
Observed Observer wrote:
If one identical twin in homosexual the other is 50% likely to be homosexual. The statistics suggest it probably both nurture and nature.
That would be proof.

If you find a pair of twins where one is gay and one is straight, then the answer must be that homosexuality is both genetic and memetic.

Well not everything is that easily conclusive. Here is a link for those interested.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/in-the-womb/4048/Overview#tab-Videos/06198_00
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taras
Active Idealist
Active Idealist


Number of posts : 83
Location : Maidan Nezalezhnosti
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 am

The Fool wrote:
Does anybody have any links to back this claim up? Any evidence?
There's not. This thread will tell you something about the thinking of the posters in this thread -- nothing about the OP question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:49 am

Actually...

If there were a pair of biological twins and one turned out to be straight while the other were homosexual, then it would prove the following:

Homosexuality is both genetic and memetic, by definition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Observed Observer
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Unreasonable wrote:
Actually...

If there were a pair of biological twins and one turned out to be straight while the other were homosexual, then it would prove the following:

Homosexuality is both genetic and memetic, by definition.

Couldn't there also be the possibility that homosexuality is mostly if not completely from the environment; the study of epigenetics after all is now showing us identical twins arnt so identical as we thought. The slight alterations of a phenotype could cause homosexuality.

We know however homosexuality cannot be 100% genetic from the fact the twins share 100% of their genes, yet they can differ in sexual orientation.

I don't see how homosexuality is a meme? could you explain?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Observed Observer
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Couldn't the environment effect the biological makeup in some form of a feed back loop or something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myhypocricy
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 30
Age : 30
Location : the fire nation
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 am

It may not be genetic..but that doesn't rule out the possibility of biology--excess estrogen intake at birth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Observed Observer
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 10
Age : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm

myhypocricy wrote:
It may not be genetic..but that doesn't rule out the possibility of biology--excess estrogen intake at birth.

Yes of course, I did not mean to rule out biology. Every behavior is ultimately grounded in biology. But with environmental effects changing the genes so early in the womb, it is hard to conclude it's definitely from the genes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:57 am

Unreasonable wrote:
It is both biologically-genetic and socially-memetic.

First, it must be genetically possible for a male to be physically attracted to another male, which is not always passed on to some individuals. In other words, some men just are not attracted at all to other men.

Second, once it is genetically possible for a certain male who may or may not be inclined to sexually engage other males, then such inclinations must be reinforced through popular culture. If homosexuality is accepted, then the homosexuals may act out on their impulses.

Bi-sexuality, orgies, and polygamy are also somethings to consider in this context.

Would this then apply to all other sexual behaviours? Such as propensities for unusual indulgences, paedophilia, bestiality, dendrophilia and so on? Therefore if it is a matter of a genetic-environmental dyad, it is not at all impossible to imagine a Culture quite different from our own... Thank you unreasonable - I like the permutations you establish. I like them very much indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:00 am

A spanner in the works - a little one I admit.

Let us say we need a genetic precursor to homosexual activity in a permissive environment.

What about little boys?

Excuse my deviant humour. I admit, I'm amusing myself. I simply am no longer capable of taking philosophy seriously any longer.

In fact - a puritan tone I can no longer trust!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
Unreasonable wrote:
It is both biologically-genetic and socially-memetic.

First, it must be genetically possible for a male to be physically attracted to another male, which is not always passed on to some individuals. In other words, some men just are not attracted at all to other men.

Second, once it is genetically possible for a certain male who may or may not be inclined to sexually engage other males, then such inclinations must be reinforced through popular culture. If homosexuality is accepted, then the homosexuals may act out on their impulses.

Bi-sexuality, orgies, and polygamy are also somethings to consider in this context.

Would this then apply to all other sexual behaviours? Such as propensities for unusual indulgences, paedophilia, bestiality, dendrophilia and so on? Therefore if it is a matter of a genetic-environmental dyad, it is not at all impossible to imagine a Culture quite different from our own... Thank you unreasonable - I like the permutations you establish. I like them very much indeed.
It would have to apply to all sexual behaviors, yes, indeed.

And no problem by the way...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedOfSilence
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 am

Homosexual behavior is what non-gays see. That is, "homosexual" means same sex sexuality.

But look closely at gay and lesbian communities. Even in that community there is a separation of gender. From what I've observed, there is always a masculinity and femininity in couples.

Personaly, I've never had sex with another man/masculinty. I find it repulsive. A man/femininity I might consider but I've never come across one that can convince me of that femininity that I desire.

However, I have had sex with transexuals that for a moment could fool me with the femininity that i look for (beauty) while at the same performing "homosexual" sex. Thai ladyboys are examples of what I am talking about.

Having been raised Catholic, I really believe in "Love".

I think people should be free to do anything and be of any sexual proclivity as long as there is love, kindness, respect and tenderness in the relationship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dannerz
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor


Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Homosexuality happens when you decide that you still want to have sex with another human being but you simultaniously realize that most women are bitches, so in order to get sex NOW, you can't wait around for the non-existant ideal, you've got to shift your desires over to men's asses or you'll be alone forever.

That was a joke, meant to offend ALL YOU EVIL WOMEN MINORITIES ON THE INTERNET, CURSE YOU FOR KEEPING YOUR SHIRTS ON. bllleeeaaa!

-

To be more serious, I've met people who have had homo desires ever since they were young. Normally reproductive instincts, aswel as our attractions, are supposedto be automatic, instincts are not really learned. Sex is instinct, not knowledge. It's not about logic, either. There's a thin line between male and female, when the fetus develops. The line is so thin, that things cross over. I think it is genetic, mostly. Even learning is genetic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dannerz
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor


Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:46 pm

SpeedOfSilence wrote:
However, I have had sex with transexuals that for a moment could fool me with the femininity that i look for (beauty) while at the same performing "homosexual" sex. Thai ladyboys are examples of what I am talking about.

Hahaha, you're gay now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sonofgloin
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 54
Location : Sydney
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm

I have always believed homosexuality to be a pre disposition (genetic or physiological) but choice
must play a part as exampled by hetrosexual men and women that are incarcerated and practice
homosexual acts while in jail but not when released. What is single sex preference and what is
oportunistic practices motivatedby sex drive.

The link below is interesting.


http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24556699-12377,00.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Homosexual Behavior   

Back to top Go down
 
Homosexual Behavior
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» On the rotational behavior of parent stars of extrasolar planets
» Multiple Sire group behavior
» this behaviour is out of character..
» Expectations-self regulated behaviour
» In need of prayer for Healing

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Scientology-
Jump to: