AuthorMessage
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Gotta love these potheads   Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:35 pm

I have been frequenting this site called "thoughts.com" lately, and found myself in a debate with a particular dimwit in a forum about legalizing marijuana. My argument was and still is, that if marijuana were to be legalized it would result in another useless, empty, meaningless activity that the system would eventually exploit to maintain and exacerbate our dependency on it and keep us docile, much like alcohol and other recreational activities.

While some of you already know that i hate the system of course and do not side with the government, nor do i approve of ANY activity that inspires social apathy and submission, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever how legalizing marijuana would result in a positive attribute to our already deteriorated, decayed and culturally desolate society.

Quote :
Age itself is one of the most significant variables in understanding marijuana use. Past-year use of marijuana increasesd with age, to a peak prevalence of about 23 percent among 18- to 25-year-olds, before declining to about 44 (SIC) percent among persons aged 35 and older."

- let's conservatively say that 44% is supposed to be 14, rather than 4, just to give you a decent chance.

- SOURCE: http://psychcentral.com/library/sa_factsm.htm

Still not convinced? Let's have a graph shall we?

- SOURCE: http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k5/MJageSMI/MJageSMI.htm

So that's 90.8 million people admitting they've tried cannabis in their lifetime. Still no apocalypse.

Let's get back to proving that decline in line with age:

"Of those charged with marijuana violations, approximately 89 percent, 738,915 Americans were charged with possession only. The remaining 90,710 individuals were charged with "sale/manufacture," a category that includes all cultivation offenses, even those where the marijuana was being grown for personal or medical use. In past years, roughly 30 percent of those arrested were age 19 or younger."

- And before you point out that 70% were over 19, bear in mind that includes most of the main demographic of 18-25 year old males. And dealers.

- SOURCE: http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7305

"The biggest age group that falls within these "acquaintances" seems to be from 18- 20 years old, but marijuana use falls sharply after the age of 22."

- SOURCE: http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=10359

"Just as Clinton's was a conventional 'top down' campaign, Obama's was a grass-roots movement. There are more than 500 Obama groups on Facebook. 'One Million Strong for Barack', started the day he announced his candidacy, had 100 members within an hour, 10,000 within a week, and 278,000 within a month."

- I wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest that facebook is purely a young-man's game anymore, but here we clearly see the weed-smoking youth getting politically involved alongside their older peers and making their collective voices heard.

- SOURCE: http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/n...-swing-UK-vote

In closing, just thought you'd enjoy these:

"Levels of use tended to be higher in the decriminalization states both before and after the changes in law. [S]tates which moderated penalties after 1974 (essentially a group of decriminalization states) did indeed experience an increase in rates of marijuana use, among both adolescents (age 12-17) and adults (18 or older). However, the increase in marijuana use was even greater in other states and the largest proportionate increase occurred in those states with the most severe penalties."

- See that? That was your point being reduced to cinder.

- SOURCE: W. Saveland and D. Bray. 1980. American Trends in Cannabis Use Among States with Different Changing Legal Regimes. Bureau of Tobacco Control and Biometrics, Health and Welfare: Ottawa, as cited by E. Single in The Impact of Marijuana Decriminalization: an Update.

"The available evidence suggests that removal of the prohibition against possession itself (decriminalization) does not increase cannabis use. ... This prohibition inflicts harms directly and is costly. Unless it can be shown that the removal of criminal penalties will increase use of other harmful drugs, ... it is difficult to see what society gains."

- What crackpot journalist posted that you say? Why the British Journal of Psychiatry.

- SOURCE: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/178/2/123

Notice how none of this internet shit applies or relates in any way to present matters or how legalizing marijuana would be sociologically fruitful. lol. he also includes links for me to explore, assuming that all i have to do is click on them to know why legalizing it would be sensible. Hahahaha.

I enjoy how many of these potheads lack the ability to formulate an effective argument of thier own, and must resort to using google or yahoo to obtain meaningless information and facts, that they don't even consider could be wrong or inaccurate, and regurgitate it to people who CAN formulate effective arguments, and simply hope that it does the arguing for them. Many of them live in this rosy, palatable colorful dream world that "marijuana is nature's gift to the world" and "legalizing it would be *AWESOME* because we would all be *CREATIVE* and peaceful." lol. This dumb fuck, not only had no ability to reason, rationalize or argue in any convincing way he was desperate for an argument, hence his obtaining this irrelevent slope from the mass media. I asked him numerous times to give me ONE SINGLE EXPLAINATION why legalizing marijuana would be good for society, and he repetively said : "just look at the facts, just look at the facts." lol.
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I find that most potheads I have encountered in life are pretend-thinkers.

system-hater wrote:
I asked him numerous times to give me ONE SINGLE EXPLAINATION why legalizing marijuana would be good for society, and he repetively said : "just look at the facts, just look at the facts." lol.
Tell him this: "Define Good." That would pretty much end the argument.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Quote :
Tell him this: "Define Good." That would pretty much end the argument.

hm, indeed it would have. Good one.

It's already ended however. He DID actually make somewhat of an attempt to construct an explaination, which wasn't really an explaination at all but more of a childish statment: "we should legalize it because......well.....because people are already smoking it.....so......why not make it legal?" To which i easily retorted: "People are ALREADY snorting coke, and shooting heroin, and poping ecstasy, should we make those drugs legal?"........."no but, just look at the facts, just look at the facts."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:12 am

The most pragmatic reason to legalize it would be for money. Legalized sales would be taxed. City county state and federal would reap the benifit of that tax. And by way of that the people would benifit. It would also decrease the prison population which we taxpayers have to pay for. Less prisoners means more money staying around for something more useful. I would not say they are pretend thinkers,,,,,,,they just can't remember what they thought Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm

kriswest wrote:
The most pragmatic reason to legalize it would be for money.

Partly, yes i can agree. But money is only a superficial clause. Moreover, our government is assessing how it will AFFECT us sociologically. Marijuana usage increases sedentary lifesyle, and poor physical activity. The vasy majority of people already lead these lifestyles, however, legalizing marijuana would exacerbate those lifestyles astronomically, and that would be detrimental to the system, not benificial, therefore they would be taking that into great consideration.

Quote :
Legalized sales would be taxed. City county state and federal would reap the benifit of that tax.

They would. But society wouldn't.

Quote :

And by way of that the people would benifit.

Society does not benifit from a useless, empty activity, regardless of any reperations of it, governmental or otherwise.

Quote :
It would also decrease the prison population which we taxpayers have to pay for.

Not at all. The prison population would stay the same. Laws are so sophomorically and incredibly rigid these days, ANYONE can be arrested for almost ANYTHING. The population in prisons would not decrease if four or even five other narcotics were legalized. The business of law is much too valued.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 am

I don't know SH if the Government get its taxes from pot then that fills a gap and relieves some money from other taxpayers, meaning; other taxes won't be raised right away. Every little bit helps. Save money today and you might have some tomorrow.
The system may create new laws to fill the system with prisoners but, that too would take time. A pothead is not a thief nor a killer but stick that person in jail with such ??? You get a human that is worse then when they went in.

Some laws are made just to make money and making pot illegal is one of them as with some other drugs. Why not just have age limits like they do for liquor if its not about money? To legalize it would mean the governments may lose fine money it seems to me they right now think they would not make as much in taxes. I do believe that that is a mistake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
system-hater
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 pm

kriswest wrote:
Some laws are made just to make money and making pot illegal is one of them as with some other drugs. Why not just have age limits like they do for liquor if its not about money? To legalize it would mean the governments may lose fine money it seems to me they right now think they would not make as much in taxes. I do believe that that is a mistake.

Kriswest, the government makes money keeping marijuana illegal. They would make money making it LEGAL. The government knows that they will make money *EITHER WAY*. They are not concerned about making money. the money is GUARANTEED. What they are concerned about, as i already stated, is the ultimate AFFECT it will incur upon society. If the affect is too "apathetically" devestating to our sociological mindset, than that would not be a good reason to legalize it, however, if the affect is positive (I can not see in anyway how it would be positive, because no pothead has had the ability to convince me otherwise) than it would be a good reason to legalize it.

consider this idiocy i recently extracted from the marijuana forum from the website "thoughts.com".

Moron from "thoughts.com wrote:

My plan for the legalization of Marijuana
1) The legal smoking age would be 21
2) To become a licensed marijuana smoker a candidate must not have been convicted of a drug related crime before the age of 21 and complete 6 semester hours of drug and alcohol education and counseling prior to licensing
3) To retain your marijuana smoking privileges you must be certified as "not addicted" by a professional counselor on an annual basis
4) Members of the Armed Forces, all government employees, varsity and Olympic athletes, will not be eligible to become licensed marijuana smokers
5) You can grow your own with a License for Personal Cultivation and commercial growers and retailers will also be regulated.
6) Pot Houses, bars in which it is legal to smoke herb, will also have to purchase a Marijuana retailers license similar to a liquor license

What will happen? My projections indicate that more adults will experiment with marijuana. Fewer adolescents will experiment with marijuana. Our stupid government may actually be able to pay its bills. And women will become better lovers and less inhibited at performing oral sex. If that is not reason enough, I don't know what is.

I also propose revitalizing the hemp industry and exploiting the variety of applications available.

Can you see the stupidity i am dealing with now?

I must actually pay credence to him for being the FIRST user on that site to make an ATTEMPT at an explaination, even though he failed miserbly.

Notice how he mentions obtaining a "license" to smoke marijuana as if that would positivily mitigate its legalizing circumstances. AND, how he makes mention of the usage of a counselor to insure that one does not become "addicted", which is self-contradiction because potheads are vehemently declaring that "marijuana is not addictive". He says that it is through this little statment, but he is too dense to see it.

He continues to try to sound intelligent by claiming that it should be "restricted" from people that wouldn't ordinarily smoke it i.e. athletes, governments employees. ASSUMING for some reason that people of "that kind" are somehow not allowed to smoke it, which is insensible. He continues his blatent assumptions by claiming that "fewer adolecents would smoke it", which is preposterous, because if the "adults" of those adolecents are purchasing marijuana, they would be able to aquire it JUST AS EASILY THAN BEFORE! DOYEE!! rabbit

And finally, (this must be the most comical addition of his absurd banter) he claims that women will be more "open" to oral sex, as if the abuse of marijuana would cultivate a deeper interest in oral sex that women ALREADY HAVE.

He does not take into account ANY of the possible consequenses for ANY of these assessments, nor does he even consider how he is making them in the first place. Do you see now thier little dream worlds they live in? They love getting high, but they have no idea how to think. They mention, "licenses" "regulation" "government" and know not how to correlate those terms into their arguments to sound convincing in any way.

The truth that is undisputable, is that marijuana, would in fact be another empty, meaningless activity to render us docile and keep us "un-objective" to the system. Which they have absolutely NO FUCKING CLUE how to argue against.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MindlessCruelty
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:18 am

Quote :
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever how legalizing marijuana would result in a positive attribute to our already deteriorated, decayed and culturally desolate society.

There's a very simple reason why...prohibition doesn't work. BUT...legalization is not the answer, for as you suggested, it would then replace alcohol. The key is to decriminalize it, not legalize it. There's no benefit in sending a pot-smoker to jail for smoking pot. By decriminalizing it, you are not then handing it over to the tobacco companies and other mass merchants, but at the same time, you are destroying the black market at its very heart. If it's not illegal, the price goes down. It takes most of the money out of the black market. This is a huge positive. But while pot and other drugs are deemed illegal, the black market thrives.

A very interesting statistic coming from the 1930's and Prohibition of alcohol in the US, was that during that period the incidence of alcoholism doubled. So while it's illegal to consume, to make, to sell and to transport, it doubled the incidence of alcoholism. You have to admit, it's a very telling statistic and we have to question our current strategies. The Netherlands has the most relaxed laws in the world, and by sheer coincidence, the lowest incidence of drug addiction per capita in the Western World. Their problem is foreigners that are aware of their more relaxed laws.

Using that model and remembering Prohibition in the US, the decriminalization of pot would approximately halve the number of people that use it over time. And since we have lived under laws making pot illegal, and more recently "zero tolerance to drugs", all drugs are more freely available on the street...I work in mental health and worked a great deal in Drug & Alcohol.

There's an interesting aspect about human nature, and that is that basically, all things being equal, we are pretty commonsensical. But when things that are detrimental for our well-being are touted as being "cool", or rebellious, and worse, is denied from us, then we demand access to it. But given that it is freely available, the vast majority of people will choose to ignore its existence. To over-simplify it....it's like putting up a "No Fishing" sign...gee, the fishing must be good here, I'll drop a line in quickly.

I hasten to add, any positive results in a change in law would not be immediate, but you would start to see a decline over the next decade. People that are addicts today, will not give-up tomorrow because it is decriminalized, but it will take the mystique away from pot for the up-and-coming generation, and the figures would reflect that less young people were smoking pot.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gotta love these potheads   

Back to top Go down

Gotta love these potheads
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1