Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Imposed astrology.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Valkyrier
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 17
Age : 35
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I respect religious superstition, well not really but I at least pretend to accept it out of courtesy. In any case I do not like having two signs that says I am a horse and a fish under my name when I make a comment on the forums. It makes no sense that it says I'm a horse and a fish. Really. Not biologically, not metaphorically and especially not when concidering the two together because I'm defenitely not a seahorse (yes that last was an attempt at a joke).
If someone wants to believe astrological mumbo jumbo then be my guest, but do not impose it upon me. At least make it an option to remove those idiotic labelings.

Sincere thanx for removing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nexus
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor


Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:45 pm

this is a free web forum, right? There must be some sort of ad then, even if it's about astrology shit.

By the way, I don't even notice such things...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Valkyrier
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 17
Age : 35
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Nexus wrote:
this is a free web forum, right? There must be some sort of ad then, even if it's about astrology shit.
The knowledge that it's not only mumbo jombo but commercial mumbo jumbo doesn't change anything to me.

Nexus wrote:
By the way, I don't even notice such things...
Your problem, not mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nexus
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor


Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Sorry, but you're just ranting...

What difference does that make in your life, I wonder...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Valkyrier
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 17
Age : 35
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Nexus wrote:
Sorry, but you're just ranting...

What difference does that make in your life, I wonder...

What difference it makes not having religious superstition imposed on me? All the differance in the world, and so should it to everyone else. Did you know that astrology takes up more space in your average newspaper than science does?

I do not like having that under my username, now I will most likely survive if it is there but I'd be much happier if I could click a button to remove it.

And sorry for the ranting, but marginalizing something just because you don't see it as a problem can make me a bit frustrated Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Astrology is such a harmless thing that no man with half a brain should be concerned with it...the fact that it occupies more space in the newspapers than science just shows that it has very little importance in fact- the scientific articles are not designed to be read by everyone...

And don't forget the number of people who make a living out of this shit...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Valkyrier
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 17
Age : 35
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Drone wrote:
Astrology is such a harmless thing that no man with half a brain should be concerned with it...
Astrology is in no way harmless. There are plenty of believers in atrology. Polls have shown that a majority of the swedish population does not know the differance between astrology and astronomy, and I don't think thats a Swedish problem. As to your second statement I hope I have more than half a brain in my head.

Drone wrote:
the fact that it occupies more space in the newspapers than science just shows that it has very little importance in fact- the scientific articles are not designed to be read by everyone...

What reason is there that scientific articles are not designed to be read by everyone? What makes them harder to read than anything else? I read metro daily and I sometimes find articles about special anomalies, distant stars, new discoveries in science etc. The feeling of amazement applies just as much to science as to anything else.

I did not make this thread because I wanted to discuss astrology, I made it because I find it insulting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

The Valkyrier wrote:
Drone wrote:
Astrology is such a harmless thing that no man with half a brain should be concerned with it...
Astrology is in no way harmless. There are plenty of believers in atrology. Polls have shown that a majority of the swedish population does not know the differance between astrology and astronomy, and I don't think thats a Swedish problem. As to your second statement I hope I have more than half a brain in my head.

and? How in the hell your statements here contradict me when I say that astrology is harmless? It's an amusement for some people, and a job for others. As for common people not being able to distinguish astrology from astronomy, that's because astronomy has no practical importance in their everyday lives, therefore they aren't supposed to care about what it is, or what's its purpose. The same happens here where I live...

Btw, I have always thought that the average Swedish person was reasonably intelligent. You have surprised me now...

Quote :


What reason is there that scientific articles are not designed to be read by everyone? What makes them harder to read than anything else? I read metro daily and I sometimes find articles about special anomalies, distant stars, new discoveries in science etc. The feeling of amazement applies just as much to science as to anything else.

I did not make this thread because I wanted to discuss astrology, I made it because I find it insulting.

The reason is quite simple: if you are an average intelligent guy, then that's why you like to read scientific articles. Now, how many people do you know who like to do the same? That's that: the scientific part is there for the few intelligent people who might be looking for them. All the others will read comics, astrology bullshit, etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Valkyrier
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 17
Age : 35
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Drone wrote:
and? How in the hell your statements here contradict me when I say that astrology is harmless?
Because it's superstition, it's misleading propaganda with no truth to it. Thats the greatest enemy of the information society.

Drone wrote:
It's an amusement for some people, and a job for others. As for common people not being able to distinguish astrology from astronomy, that's because astronomy has no practical importance in their everyday lives, therefore they aren't supposed to care about what it is, or what's its purpose. The same happens here where I live...
I don't share your view, what we have learned about the cosmos effects the every day lives of everyone because it, together with other proved facts, enables us to make informed decisions. Without astronomy we would still think the universe was geocentric.

Drone wrote:
The reason is quite simple: if you are an average intelligent guy, then that's why you like to read scientific articles. Now, how many people do you know who like to do the same? That's that: the scientific part is there for the few intelligent people who might be looking for them. All the others will read comics, astrology bullshit, etc...
That may be your experience but it isn't mine. Maybe where you come from people aren't as interested in science as Swede's are. But then again Sweden is very different from other countries in many aspects. Please try and keep your prejudice away from me, there is a reason the words popular and science quite often are used in the same sentance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taras
Active Idealist
Active Idealist


Number of posts : 83
Location : Maidan Nezalezhnosti
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:20 am

The astrological symbols are displayed because you filled in in the birthdate box at Profile > Preferences page. You should be able to change day to -, month to - and year to BLANK.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:14 am

The Valkyrier wrote:

Because it's superstition, it's misleading propaganda with no truth to it. Thats the greatest enemy of the information society.

Misleading propaganda...

Come on, this kinda shit amuses some folks and give a job to others. Everybody who's intelligent knows that astrology is meaningless, and everybody should also know that it's a waste of time to try to free common people from such harmless delusions. If astrology was gone, some other sort of 'superstition' would soon take its place...

Quote :

I don't share your view, what we have learned about the cosmos effects the every day lives of everyone because it, together with other proved facts, enables us to make informed decisions. Without astronomy we would still think the universe was geocentric.

Helas, I'm talking about the perspective of the common man (the man who may be willing to read astrology shit) on these things... Rolling Eyes

Quote :

That may be your experience but it isn't mine. Maybe where you come from people aren't as interested in science as Swede's are. But then again Sweden is very different from other countries in many aspects. Please try and keep your prejudice away from me, there is a reason the words popular and science quite often are used in the same sentance.

hmm, then the Swedes are interested in science? So, what's the problem with their not being able to distinguish astrology from astronomy? And by the way, i'm not prejudiced against science. You yourself were the one who mentioned common's people difficulty in understanding it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Imposed astrology.   

Back to top Go down
 
Imposed astrology.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Astrology step by step
» Use Of Astrology
» Classical/Predictive Palmistries not related to Astrology?
» Astrology and the seven rays
» my astrology cards

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Feedback-
Jump to: