AuthorMessage
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Islam   Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Salam (peace),

As a Muslim, I wanted to see if anyone has any questions about the religion. I want to first make it clear, that I am not a scholar. However, anything I post will be based on what I have learned from scholars. Please feel free to ask any sort of questions, whether it be about terrorism, the role of women, beliefs, democracy in Islam, acts of worship, dress code, etc. Do not shy away from any topic, however, please act with the best conduct and manors.

I'll introduce Islam, for those who know nothing about it.

The word Islam comes from the root "aslama", meaning Submission. The goal of every Muslim is to submit his will to God (Allah). Muslim literally means "one who submits". Just as in english, the suffix 'er' implies one who is doing something. For example, runner, is someone who runs. Walker is someone who walks. The prefix 'Mu' in Arabic is the same as English's suffix 'er'. Mu-slim= One who submits.

We believe all prophets came with the same message- La Ilaha Il Allah (there is no God but God). We believe that the previous messages were corrupted, and the people went astray. We believe Muhammed (May Peace be Upon him) to be the final messenger, bringing to us the Qur'an, which is uncorrupted and dictates the way we shall live.

Feel free to ask anything. Thank you, and may Allah (swt) guide us all. Ameen.

If any other Muslims are on this forum, feel free to answer questions as well. But be sure to use scholarly sources, and not your own personal opinion which may differ from mainstream Islam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taras
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:54 am

I have quite a few questions, but I should start with those so that I can properly interact in this,

- Is spelling important, there are many spellings for persons and books, is it significant to use one or another spelling, for example, Muslim - Moslem, Koran - Qur'an?

- Should everyone include "(May Peace be Upon him)" after writing or saying "Muhammed"?

- I see that references to the Qur'an are written in different ways, for example: "Qu'ran - 1, 47" or "Sura 19", "Al-Fatiha", "The Romans, The Byzantines", is there a standard format for English speakers? (No significance to any of these points, if I've even cited rightly, just ones I see on Google.)

- I recognize about half a dozen Arabic characters, reading the Qur'an in Arabic would be totally impossible for me anytime in the next several years for sure, I read a Penguin edition of the Qur'an, is there a standard or mainstream English translation?

- And just a fun question, what do you make of the characters at the start of some chapters? (Chapters?, that's not right.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Psychonaut
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 am

As I understand it part of submitting wholly to God means submitting to no man.

If we submit to no man, then why would it matter to quote scholar's who represent 'mainstream' Islam?

Is it not a significant problem that squatting on the path to God there are many who claim to be guides, yet no way to tell apart who are the genuine guides from the false? Surely it is an even greater problem since false guides may sincerely believe themselves true guides. Given that every scholar will have variance on at least one point, we must surely assume that all scholars are imperfect guides. How can we really tell the path to guide, aside from following our own heart?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:43 am

Taras wrote:
- Is spelling important, there are many spellings for persons and books, is it significant to use one or another spelling, for example, Muslim - Moslem, Koran - Qur'an?

Not particularly. If we were using the Arabic it would matter, but not in English. Sometimes certain ways of spelling are perceived as more ignorant, such as 'Moslem' because it is the spelled the incorrect way that some Americans pronounce 'Muslim'

Taras wrote:
- Should everyone include "(May Peace be Upon him)" after writing or saying "Muhammed"?

There's no problem with not saying it if you are not Muslim. If you so please, feel free to, as it is prayer for the Prophet (pbuh). You'll also see Muslims use 'saws', which stands for 'sallalahu alaihi wa'salam'- the arabic for "may peace be upon him", and for other prophets we use (as)- Alaiyi Wa'Salam, or "pbuh" again.

Taras wrote:
- I see that references to the Qur'an are written in different ways, for example: "Qu'ran - 1, 47" or "Sura 19", "Al-Fatiha", "The Romans, The Byzantines", is there a standard format for English speakers? (No significance to any of these points, if I've even cited rightly, just ones I see on Google.)

It doesn't matter. The important part of citing, is so that others may look it up. So long as they can find it, which would require either the number, the sura (chapter) name in English or Arabic, and the Ayah (verse) number. I guess the most standard way would be like, "2:32" (chapter:verse:) But no, it does not matter.

Taras wrote:
- I recognize about half a dozen Arabic characters, reading the Qur'an in Arabic would be totally impossible for me anytime in the next several years for sure, I read a Penguin edition of the Qur'an, is there a standard or mainstream English translation?

Well, the most common English translators would be Abdullah Yusuf Ali and Marmaduke Pikthall. What translation are you currently reading? The only thing that matters is that the translation is accurate. And does it have commentary as well? Some words in Arabic have multiple meanings, and you need to know all the meanings to fully grasp the content. Translation is not exactly 'sufficient', though I have to use it a lot as well, like many other Muslims around the world. That is why it says "an interpretation of the Qur'an" as the title- or something along those lines.

Taras wrote:
- And just a fun question, what do you make of the characters at the start of some chapters? (Chapters?, that's not right.)

You mean when it starts with letters, right? Well I've heard a bit about this. There is a science behind them, which I am yet to comprehend, nor have I put much effort into it just yet. Here is a site about it http://www.55a.net/firas/english/?page=show_det&id=76

But Abu Bakr (May Allah SWT be pleased with him) said, “In every divinely-revealed book there is a divine secret; in the Qur’an, it is these letters.”

I'm not sure humans know exactly what it means. I've heard several theories, and most of them (including the whole number thing like in the first link) seem pretty odd to me, and not backed by such great information. Sufis have their own beliefs about it, but I usually shy away from that, because much of their interpretations are not based on Qur'an or Sunnah.

Hope that answered your questions. Please don't fear asking more. Thank you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:04 am

-Psychonaut wrote:
As I understand it part of submitting wholly to God means submitting to no man.

If we submit to no man, then why would it matter to quote scholar's who represent 'mainstream' Islam?

Is it not a significant problem that squatting on the path to God there are many who claim to be guides, yet no way to tell apart who are the genuine guides from the false? Surely it is an even greater problem since false guides may sincerely believe themselves true guides. Given that every scholar will have variance on at least one point, we must surely assume that all scholars are imperfect guides. How can we really tell the path to guide, aside from following our own heart?

Good question. Well, we never put our full faith in a single being of coarse. The reason we rely on scholars, is because they have studied the topic more than we have. Every scholar must know Arabic, and must have studied Islamic law some way or another. We are not trusting just what they say, but what they can prove. A scholar also needs to provide sources from the Qur'an or Sunnah to be considered valid. Any opinion a scholar may have, needs to be based on Islamic text, not his own theory.

I'll give an example. In one part of the Qur'an, it says "Do not come to prayer drunk." But does that imply while not praying, we can drink? Of coarse not, and it is later prohibited in the Qur'an. However, someone reading this who is not a scholar may not know that it comes up later in the Qur'an, and may pass his own judgment based on this verse.

If you had a health problem, would you go to a doctor who has only been training for a few weeks on his own? Or would you go to an expert who knows the topic and has much experience in it?

And yes, you are right, their opinions may differ. But if they are based on Islamic sources, the opinions are not incorrect, even if they may disagree.

There is a hadith about the Muslims going off to war to fight an aggressor. When it comes time to pray, half of the Muslims say that they were ordered to fight, and therefore, they can combine prayers to make them more convenient, in order that they may not fail militarily in the battle. Another set of Muslims said the command is to always pray 5 times a day, and they have no reason to believe otherwise, unless it is evident life or death situation.
When they returned to Muhammed (Saws) they asked him which way was correct. He told them both were correct, and both are rewarded for their actions, because they at least based it on what they had been commanded, on th elaws given to them, and not based on their own personal desire. So variety of opinions can be accepted, as long as they are backed up by Islamic sources.

A scholar cannot be considered a 'guide'. He/she is simply passing on what he/she has learned from Islamic sources. I cannot remember the exact wording of the Hadith, but it goes something like: "The worse of scholars is the one who does not share his knowledge with the world." They have been given a gift. They have learned Islam. They need to be able to share it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:17 pm

If a Muslim is lost in an underground cave, his sense of direction obliterated (Sura 4:47), which way should he face to pray?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Male
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Dako wrote:
If a Muslim is lost in an underground cave, his sense of direction obliterated (Sura 4:47), which way should he face to pray?
I second this question... Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Dako wrote:

One should try their best to estimate the direction. If it is truly impossible, such as in the situation you mentioned, then it is intention that counts. In fact, it is always intention that counts. If there is no possible way for you to know the direction of Mecca, just remember that Allah (swt) hears you everywhere, and pray whichever direction.

Quran 2.177 "It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and giveth wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor-due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the God-fearing."

If a Muslim then realizes the prayers were not facing Mecca, there is no need to make them up again. Islam is all about intention. For example, there is a hadith that says if you try your best to make it to the masjid (Mosque), and you get there too late to pray with the others, then you still get the reward of praying with other Muslims, because it was your intention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Psychonaut
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Musa, are you named for Mansa Musa the Mali Emperor? If so, why so?

Quote :
because they at least based it on what they had been commanded, on th elaws given to them, and not based on their own personal desire. So variety of opinions can be accepted, as long as they are backed up by Islamic sources.

In other words, you can do what you like so long as you find some scholar somewhere who supports that action?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:52 pm

-Psychonaut wrote:
Musa, are you named for Mansa Musa the Mali Emperor? If so, why so?

Musa= Moses

-Psychonaut wrote:
In other words, you can do what you like so long as you find some scholar somewhere who supports that action?

No of coarse not. The scholar has to prove it using the Qur'an and/or Sunnah. There is an entire science to it. Insha'Allah, I will post an article soon about the process of making laws, and how Muslims know what is right or wrong. A scholar cannot just say whatever he or she pleases. But because they have studied it the most, people ask them questions so they can refer to the Qur'an or Sunnah regarding how to act with a certain topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:13 am

I read the Qu'ran. It is one of my favourite books - maybe even my favourite.

Do you feel that a non muslim can benefit equally, the same as a muslim, from the Qu'ran?

Do I have to be a socially recognised 'muslim' to experience the profound guidance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
I read the Qu'ran. It is one of my favourite books - maybe even my favourite.

Masha'Allah, I'm glad to hear that.

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
Do you feel that a non muslim can benefit equally, the same as a muslim, from the Qu'ran?
Well, Islam does offer a complete way of life. Within the Qur'an and Sunnah, we have an example of how we should live. If you do not follow that way, obviously you are not getting all the possible benefit of the Qur'an. But I suppose the moral aspect of it...

Do I have to be a socially recognised 'muslim' to experience the profound guidance?[/quote]

No one has to consider you Muslim for you to be Muslim. Allah (swt) knows what is within your heart. That being said, a Muslim is not just someone who likes the Qur'an. A Muslim is someone who submits to the will of Allah (swt). If someone believes Islam, it is important they die in a state of submission to God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm

I've several questions off-hand,

1. Muslims represent one of the only open-fronts against the American imperialist aggressors and their running-dogs. Is there any way to support and/or financially back those Muslims taking up arms without getting myself thrown into Gitmo? (Don't feel obliged to answer this.)

2. I like hiphop. Can you recommend any good Muslim 'gangster rap', for example,

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=z9mRLRugG20

3. I see 4:47 translated many different ways,

~we wipe out your sense of direction
~we obliterate faces
~we banish certain faces to exile
~we destroy countenances so as to confound them

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Dako wrote:
1. Muslims represent one of the only open-fronts against the American imperialist aggressors and their running-dogs. Is there any way to support and/or financially back those Muslims taking up arms without getting myself thrown into Gitmo? (Don't feel obliged to answer this.)
Very risky business. I'd avoid it by all means. I've had the FBI come to my home a few years ago. Believe me, it is not a pleasant experience. People have been arrested just for giving money to Hamas-run hospitals in Gaza, so I highly doubt you can give any money to groups that America sees as a threat.
Dako wrote:

2. I like hiphop. Can you recommend any good Muslim 'gangster rap', for example,

http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=z9mRLRugG20
Many Muslims avoid string instruments, and much hip hop has string instruments. If you're into the political stuff, check out Immortal Technique or Dead Prez, if you have not already. Also, Dam is pretty awesome, they are Palestinian rappers.

Immortal Technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnNd6a9v5c
Dead Prez: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psdgRH_p3XI
Dam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2dn3fxrAI

Dako wrote:

~we obliterate faces

Thoughts?

Might I ask if you have quoted the wrong verse? From what I found, the verse says none of those.
"O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-breakers, for the decision of Allah Must be carried out. "
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 pm

Musa wrote:
Very risky business. I'd avoid it by all means. I've had the FBI come to my home a few years ago. Believe me, it is not a pleasant experience. People have been arrested just for giving money to Hamas-run hospitals in Gaza, so I highly doubt you can give any money to groups that America sees as a threat.
Whoa.

Dako wrote:
Also, Dam is pretty awesome, they are Palestinian rappers.

Dam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj2dn3fxrAI
I know DAM, this is my favorite of thiers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIo6lyP9tTE

I'll check out the others...

Why no string instruments?

Dako wrote:
Quote :

~we obliterate faces

Thoughts?

Might I ask if you have quoted the wrong verse? From what I found, the verse says none of those.
"O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-breakers, for the decision of Allah Must be carried out. "
That's the right line for sure. Can you read the Arabic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Dako wrote:

I know DAM, this is my favorite of thiers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIo6lyP9tTE

I'll check out the others...

Hah, I like that song too. I am friends with Abeer (the girl in the Chorus). She lives in my city, but travels a lot so I don't see her much. I don't normally listen to their music, for the reason of string instruments and, especially that song, it's best for men not to listen to women singing.
Dako wrote:

Why no string instruments?
The topic is debated. Some say the hadith are not authentic. There are hadiths such as these:
“There will be some people among my nation who will regard fornication, wearing of silk (for men), drinking of intoxicants and stringed instruments as lawful.” (Al-Bukhaarie and others).
“In this nation there will be humiliation, corruption and slander. The companions asked, “When will that happen O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “When songstresses and stringed instruments appear and when alcohol is consumed.” (At-Tirmidhee).

The main reason I have heard is because melodies stick in your head. But as I said, the topic is debated, and some say so long as the lyrical content is appropriate.
Personally, I listen mostly to Nasheeds (Islamic-topic songs without music)
Here's an example...it takes some getting used to haha, This song is a true story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Cg6rc6wtA

Dako wrote:
Quote :

~we obliterate faces

Thoughts?

That's the right line for sure. Can you read the Arabic?[/quote]

Ah you are right. Sorry, I didn't realize that. Well my Arabic is not great but I think you need to understand the context for this to make sense. In Sura Araf (Chapter 7), it speaks of an experience dealing with a specific groups of Jews. Keep in mind, we believe at one point, the Jews were the believers, so they had the responsibility to uphold the religious law. They broke the Sabbath, and Allah (Swt) gives them a warning that if they do not change their ways, they will be punished.
7:165-166:"When they disregarded the warnings that had been given them, We rescued those who forbade Evil; but We visited the wrong-doers with a grievous punishment because they were given to transgression.
When in their insolence they transgressed (all) prohibitions, We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected."
The reference to apes is that they were acting like animals (giving in to their desires), and so they were turned into them. I'm not sure if that is literal or not.

So here would be an accurate translation of the verse you ask about.
"O you who have been given the Scripture, believe in what We have revealed, of the Qur’ān, confirming what is with you, of the Torah, before We obliterate faces, erasing the eyes, noses and eyebrows in them, and turn them inside out, and make them like the napes of the neck, a flat plate, or curse them, by transforming them into apes, as We cursed, [as] We transformed, those of the Sabbath, among them, and God’s command, His decree, is done: after this was revealed,"
A commentator on Qur'an, Jalal ad-Din al-Mahalli, said "‘Abd Allāh b. Salām converted to Islam, and so it was said that this had been a conditional threat of punishment, so that when some of them converted to Islam, it [the threat] was lifted. It is also said that obliteration and transformation will take place before the rising of the Hour.

Make sense?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dako
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:20 am

Dako wrote:
Quote :

~we obliterate faces
Quote :
So here would be an accurate translation of the verse you ask about.

"O you who have been given the Scripture, believe in what We have revealed, of the Qur’ān, confirming what is with you, of the Torah, before We obliterate faces, erasing the eyes, noses and eyebrows in them, and turn them inside out, and make them like the napes of the neck, a flat plate, or curse them, by transforming them into apes, as We cursed, [as] We transformed, those of the Sabbath, among them, and God’s command, His decree, is done: after this was revealed,"

A commentator on Qur'an, Jalal ad-Din al-Mahalli, said "‘Abd Allāh b. Salām converted to Islam, and so it was said that this had been a conditional threat of punishment, so that when some of them converted to Islam, it [the threat] was lifted. It is also said that obliteration and transformation will take place before the rising of the Hour.

Make sense?
4:47 reminds me of facing to Mecca at prayer. At first, a seeker after God needs to have all his erroneous ideas, his culture, his beliefs "obliterated/wiped out"; after this he can start to rebuild his world. As far as my place can be made out in the world, a compass, the direction to Mecca is about as certain and good as it gets.

Musa wrote:
“In this nation there will be humiliation, corruption and slander. The companions asked, “When will that happen O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “When songstresses and stringed instruments appear and when alcohol is consumed.” (At-Tirmidhee).
- When was this written? The guitar is probably as dangerous as the M-16 so far as spreading the disease of America culture throughout the world. Maybe that's what it's about; or are we talking ancient here?

- There's a war, between the three and the four, and the five and the six?

A) Triangle (3 points), square (4 points).

B) Star of David (6 points), Muslim Star (8 points)

C) Pentacle (5 points)...

Here is the seal on the American embassy in Baghdad, pentacles (5) and the Star of David (6).

- Fitna and Submission. Geert Wilders is essentially used as middle-class propaganda against radicals of all sorts?

Whatever may be wrong with Islam pales in comparison with the main-stream and the middle class. After all, if a Muslim buys Robby Williams albums and pays taxes, the British or American government don't give a shit what you wear or when you pray.

Mainstream Islam is mainstream propaganda, the Islam in it is just a diversion. This is part of why the Taliban was so hated, they are Luddites -- they don't buy DVD players. No?

- To cover or to uncover? At a nude-beach, should a Muslim woman still cover her hair?

- Female genital mutilation? (Pardon the dysphemism.)

"Fatima is being called a younger Iman, and her sad story (female genital mutilation...."

- Child marriage? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedOfSilence
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:00 am

There are two choices in life:

1. Submit to God
2. Ignore God

Whatever is the after-life, there are many people in category (2) who are doing just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Наdji
Unestablished Ideals
Unestablished Ideals

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 pm

SpeedOfSilence wrote:

1. Submit to God
2. Ignore God

Whatever is the after-life, there are many people in category (2) who are doing just fine.
How do you know?

- Next question, what is the standard version of after-life in Islam?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Musa
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Наdji wrote:
SpeedOfSilence wrote:

1. Submit to God
2. Ignore God

How do you know?

- Next question, what is the standard version of after-life in Islam?
Good question. I italisized what is in my own words. The rest is from
http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/beliefs/afterlife.htm:
Like Christianity, Islam teaches the continued existence of the soul and a transformed physical existence after death. Muslims believe there will be a day of judgment when all humans will be divided between the eternal destinations of Paradise and Hell.
Resurrection and the Day of Judgment

A central doctrine of the Qur'an is the Last Day, on which the world will be destroyed and Allah will raise all people and jinn from the dead to be judged.

The Last Day is also called the Day of Standing Up, Day of Separation, Day of Reckoning, Day of Awakening, Day of Judgment, The Encompassing Day or The Hour.

Until the Day of Judgment, deceased souls remain in their graves awaiting the resurrection. However, they begin to feel immediately a taste of their destiny to come. Those bound for hell will suffer in their graves, while those bound for heaven will be in peace until that time.

The resurrection that will take place on the Last Day is physical, and is explained by suggesting that God will re-create the decayed body (17💯 "Could they not see that God who created the heavens and the earth is able to create the like of them"?).

On the Last Day, resurrected humans and jinn will be judged by Allah according to their deeds. One's eternal destination depends on balance of good to bad deeds in life. They are either granted admission to Paradise, where they will enjoy spiritual and physical pleasures forever, or condemned to Hell to suffer spiritual and physical torment for eternity. The day of judgment is described as passing over Hell on a narrow bridge in order to enter Paradise. Those who fall, weighted by their bad deeds, will remain in Hell forever.

The Qur'an specifies two exceptions to this general rule:

1. Warriors who die fighting in the cause of God are ushered immediately to God's presence (2:159 and 3:169); and
2. "Enemies of Islam" are sentenced immediately to Hell upon death.

Paradise

"O soul who is at rest, return to thy Lord, well-pleased with Him, well-pleasing Him. So enter among My servants, and enter My garden." (89:27-30)

Paradise (firdaws), also called "The Garden" (Janna), is a place of physical and spiritual pleasure, with lofty mansions (39:20, 29:58-59), delicious food and drink (52:22, 52:19, 38:51), and virgin companions called houris (56:17-19, 52:24-25, 76:19, 56:35-38, 37:48-49, 38:52-54, 44:51-56, 52:20-21). There are seven heavens (17:46, 23:88, 41:11, 65:12).
In Islam: Heaven is essentially a place that you get anything you desire. If a human desires wealth, he can have a mansion. etc. The reason for the virgins, is that most men [and women i suppose] have sexual desires, and so those desires will be fulfilled. They are angel virgins...not like we Muslims believe women will be our sex slaves in the afterlife. As the Hadith says, "This life is hell/prison for the believer, and the next one will be paradise." We are rewarded for suppressing/constraining our desire in this life

Furthermore, there is a myth in today's media that Islam judges men and women differently. As I was saying before, as if we believe that women will be a sex slave or something. This is completely false. The Qur'an shows equality between reward for both men and women.
From Quran al-Azhab 33:35: 033.035
"For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. "

Hell

Hell, or Jahannam (Greek gehenna), is mentioned frequently in the Qur'an and the Sunnah using a variety of imagery. It has seven doors (Qur'an 39:71; 15:43) leading to a fiery crater of various levels, the lowest of which contains the tree Zaqqum and a cauldron of boiling pitch. The level of hell depends on the degree of offenses. Suffering is both physical and spiritual.

Being a Muslim does not keep one out of Hell, but it is not clear whether Muslims remain in Hell forever. Non-Muslims (kafir), however, will be punished eternally. A Muslim author on IslamOnline.net explains it this way:

"Ultimately, God will remove from Hell those believers whose sins were not forgiven nor atoned for by good deeds in their lifetimes, and they will then enter Paradise. The remaining inhabitants of Hell will stay there eternally." (Islam Online)

Other Muslim commentators, noting that Allah can rescue people from hell as he chooses, and that he is merciful and compassionate, have hypothesized that eventually hell will be empty. Alternatively, Hell can be seen as a place of progress where souls are instructed until they are fit to go to heaven:

"Life after death is actually the starting-point of further progress for man. Those in paradise are advancing to higher and higher stages in knowledge and perfection of faith. Hell is meant to purify those in it of the effects of their bad deeds, and so make them fit for further advancement. Its punishment is, therefore, not everlasting." (Muslim.org, an Ahmadiyya website)

This last idea, from the Ahmadiyya website, is not a largely-believed belief. In general, most Muslims believe that not only Muslims will be in heaven, however, it is not so simple as 'eventually hell will be empty'. Non-Muslims who never heard the message of Islam, have different tests. Those who came before the Qur'an are judged by the previous revelations. Furthermore, it's not like a Non-Muslim who denied Islam is on the same level as hitler. Allah (swt) judges each person as an individual. There are different levels of hell, and different levels of heaven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SUNLIGHT
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:20 am

Musa wrote:
Salam (peace),

As a Muslim, I wanted to see if anyone has any questions about the religion. I want to first make it clear, that I am not a scholar. However, anything I post will be based on what I have learned from scholars. Please feel free to ask any sort of questions, whether it be about terrorism, the role of women, beliefs, democracy in Islam, acts of worship, dress code, etc. Do not shy away from any topic, however, please act with the best conduct and manors.

I'll introduce Islam, for those who know nothing about it.

The word Islam comes from the root "aslama", meaning Submission. The goal of every Muslim is to submit his will to God (Allah). Muslim literally means "one who submits". Just as in english, the suffix 'er' implies one who is doing something. For example, runner, is someone who runs. Walker is someone who walks. The prefix 'Mu' in Arabic is the same as English's suffix 'er'. Mu-slim= One who submits.

We believe all prophets came with the same message- La Ilaha Il Allah (there is no God but God). We believe that the previous messages were corrupted, and the people went astray. We believe Muhammed (May Peace be Upon him) to be the final messenger, bringing to us the Qur'an, which is uncorrupted and dictates the way we shall live.

Feel free to ask anything. Thank you, and may Allah (swt) guide us all. Ameen.

If any other Muslims are on this forum, feel free to answer questions as well. But be sure to use scholarly sources, and not your own personal opinion which may differ from mainstream Islam.
......................................................here is my question , the QURAN teaches "allah has NO SON but the BIBLE teahes that GOD has a son , which is correct ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SUNLIGHT
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Islam   Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content