Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Individuality

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Individuality   Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:50 am

Another one of my little questions. They all tie together [power, pleasure, individuality - and later consciousness, agency, epistemology/discourse, 'ethics' and virtue ethics, Political Science].

What is 'the individual'? Where can we say this little locum/nexus/monad begins and ends?

I have put this question quite deliberately in the sociology section - mainly to avoid much of the peurile nonsense that passes as philosophy, formulating all sorts of vague assumptions and calling them 'premises' etc etc etc.

Fundamentally, to address the question both specifically, and with an adequate reference to all the variables, answers should carry very terse statements first off [such as the biological as a very obvious starting point], but these statements should not formulate the hypothesis itself [that is, utilising the biological to load a quasi-darwinist argument, which too easily leads to very naive and dreadful things]. Let our statements, our attempts at initial definition, carry us toward hypotheses we can validate, in an iterative process of inquiry - in relation to all other object variables in our equation[s]. That way we can ensure we do not prematurely lock ourselves down into an 'ideology' of some sort, and instead we can indulge ourselves the pleasure of 'doing philosophy' [too many philosophers nowadays do little more than engage in intellectual onanism - just look at Richard Dawkins or any Oxon Don for example!]. Furthermore, with this lateral and dynamic process, we can begin to string together our concepts of Individuality [there may be more than one? it may take many attempts to get it right?] with other issues such as power, pleasure and so on. That is, the individual is not some stupified, half solipsist, deformed pseudo-darwinist untermensch as too many teenage boys who have misread Nietzsche [or whatever - the American dream perhaps] tend to believe.

Also, feel free to propose methodology - as I have done here. However, bear in mind methodology itself is very much an issue that will be specific to the enquiry of epistemology/discourse.

What is dissident about my questions? I always give a hint of madness... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:14 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
That is, the individual is not some stupified, half solipsist, deformed pseudo-darwinist untermensch as too many teenage boys who have misread Nietzsche [or whatever - the American dream perhaps] tend to believe.
Why not? -- what alternative have you given?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:29 am

Unreasonable wrote:
Baldassare Cossa wrote:
That is, the individual is not some stupified, half solipsist, deformed pseudo-darwinist untermensch as too many teenage boys who have misread Nietzsche [or whatever - the American dream perhaps] tend to believe.
Why not? -- what alternative have you given?

oh come on my good man! Don't run away from a sticky wee question like this one! I'm asking everyone else here to contribute so we may assess - and create - all possibilities.

The alternative I gave? I guess you could say it's a deformed pseudo-half-darwinist, highly socially and historicall formed, ubermensch who has a penchance for fighting and fucking and can't be bothered with pessimism.

Go on my good man! Get on down to the arena, kill a few people, take their wives, then get utterly drunk on a very fine Bordeaux and vomit it down their throats as you fuck - then get up for a nice 5mile mile jog to blow the cobwebs off in the morning! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:35 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
oh come on my good man! Don't run away from a sticky wee question like this one! I'm asking everyone else here to contribute so we may assess - and create - all possibilities.
Baldassare Cossa wrote:
I have put this question quite deliberately in the sociology section - mainly to avoid much of the peurile nonsense that passes as philosophy, formulating all sorts of vague assumptions and calling them 'premises' etc etc etc.
It's hard to create possibilities when you can so easily label what I say as nonsense. Twisted Evil


Baldassare Cossa wrote:
The alternative I gave? I guess you could say it's a deformed pseudo-half-darwinist, highly socially and historicall formed, ubermensch who has a penchance for fighting and fucking and can't be bothered with pessimism.

Go on my good man! Get on down to the arena, kill a few people, take their wives, then get utterly drunk on a very fine Bordeaux and vomit it down their throats as you fuck - then get up for a nice 5mile mile jog to blow the cobwebs off in the morning! Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am guessing you do not live inside Amerika?

Things are a little different where I live. As soon as you open the door to your home here, the world is against you.


If there is anything Christians/Nietzscheans hate more, then it is a man with a chip on his shoulder. I like my dick where it is: attached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:53 am

Unreasonable wrote:
Baldassare Cossa wrote:
oh come on my good man! Don't run away from a sticky wee question like this one! I'm asking everyone else here to contribute so we may assess - and create - all possibilities.
Baldassare Cossa wrote:
I have put this question quite deliberately in the sociology section - mainly to avoid much of the peurile nonsense that passes as philosophy, formulating all sorts of vague assumptions and calling them 'premises' etc etc etc.
It's hard to create possibilities when you can so easily label what I say as nonsense. Twisted Evil


Baldassare Cossa wrote:
The alternative I gave? I guess you could say it's a deformed pseudo-half-darwinist, highly socially and historicall formed, ubermensch who has a penchance for fighting and fucking and can't be bothered with pessimism.

Go on my good man! Get on down to the arena, kill a few people, take their wives, then get utterly drunk on a very fine Bordeaux and vomit it down their throats as you fuck - then get up for a nice 5mile mile jog to blow the cobwebs off in the morning! Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am guessing you do not live inside Amerika?

Things are a little different where I live. As soon as you open the door to your home here, the world is against you.
hahahaha! Don't take it to heart friend! Sure, I'm a little hard with my words - and yes, I'm pretty hard on the darwinism and such like, but that's simply because I see it as another branch of 'christian determinism' if I may simplify it with such tropes. I certainly don't rebuke your ethos Unreasonable - your 'pathos', deep down, is not at all unlike mine - what differences we bear are on the surface. As for labels and nonsense - it's all a matter of tweaking and tweaking ones mode of thinking, I've been doing it to my own for years. Give it a shot, trust me, the man who is strict with himself will not fail. In the Social Sciences it is called Reflexive Criticism - a very useful instrument of self torture. Don't you just love that sweet suffering? The more you can take the better you can give it...

Nope - I don't live in Yankeeland thankfully - I hope you manage to get out of there, to somewhere you belong...

I'm in the UK Unreasonable - and it's not fun here either for our kind [and a wee clue - I already told you about my childhood full of sticks and guns - think about where that might be], my dick is always aching and leaking - though I am currently boning an American doll who likes the Dissident things in life.

One more thing, I know you have a certain perception on Nietzsche - he's an unusually tough nut to crack in terms of comprehension. All I can tell you is there are no Nietzscheans in America, certain none on the NeoCon/Republican/Christian side of the fence anyway. And believe it or not - much of your ethos is not at all unlike a 'nascent Nieztzscheanism'. hehehehehehe. lol!


Unreasonable wrote:
If there is anything Christians/Nietzscheans hate more, then it is a man with a chip on his shoulder. I like my dick where it is: attached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maryshelley
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:

hahahaha! Don't take it to heart friend! Sure, I'm a little hard with my words - and yes, I'm pretty hard on the darwinism and such like, but that's simply because I see it as another branch of 'christian determinism' if I may simplify it with such tropes.

Who dares take my man Darwin's name in vain?

Takes up rubber shield and spear. Roars at the crowd.

Obviously I'm the only true individual here all others have Nietzsched in their pants and cannot get rid of the stain. Or are god botherers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 60
Location : Sodom
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 am

maryshelley wrote:
Baldassare Cossa wrote:

hahahaha! Don't take it to heart friend! Sure, I'm a little hard with my words - and yes, I'm pretty hard on the darwinism and such like, but that's simply because I see it as another branch of 'christian determinism' if I may simplify it with such tropes.

Who dares take my man Darwin's name in vain?

Takes up rubber shield and spear. Roars at the crowd.

Obviously I'm the only true individual here all others have Nietzsched in their pants and cannot get rid of the stain. Or are god botherers.

Study me a little closer Mary and you will see I am a little more than a 'Nietzschian' as you call it. My discontent with Christian Determinism is perhaps a little more French than that... And if you read properly you will notice I did joke 'may I simplify it with such tropes?'

Now, with this true individuality of yours [very Zarathustrian of you perhaps...], would you like to make an actual contribution to this topic?

This is the kind of infantilism that must stop - sincerely. From now on I will seldom respond to such posts as these, but instead ask for their removal.

Stay focused, disciplined, and give a relevant post with theroetical/objective backup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maryshelley
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Individuality   Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:35 am

Baldassare Cossa wrote:
maryshelley wrote:
Baldassare Cossa wrote:

hahahaha! Don't take it to heart friend! Sure, I'm a little hard with my words - and yes, I'm pretty hard on the darwinism and such like, but that's simply because I see it as another branch of 'christian determinism' if I may simplify it with such tropes.

Who dares take my man Darwin's name in vain?

Takes up rubber shield and spear. Roars at the crowd.

Obviously I'm the only true individual here all others have Nietzsched in their pants and cannot get rid of the stain. Or are god botherers.

Study me a little closer Mary and you will see I am a little more than a 'Nietzschian' as you call it. My discontent with Christian Determinism is perhaps a little more French than that... And if you read properly you will notice I did joke 'may I simplify it with such tropes?'

Now, with this true individuality of yours [very Zarathustrian of you perhaps...], would you like to make an actual contribution to this topic?

This is the kind of infantilism that must stop - sincerely. From now on I will seldom respond to such posts as these, but instead ask for their removal.

Stay focused, disciplined, and give a relevant post with theroetical/objective backup.

'THAT MUST STOP'

Censors and control freaks - they just can't help themselves can they?

Don't worry there won't be any more. You clevers, (or should I call you 'brights') can carry on wanking each other off to your heart's content.

But before I depart, BC, my little papal buddy:

You have assumed that I was referring to you as a 'Nietzschian'. Had you read it properly you would have noticed my little joke was a light hearted invitation to cite your objections to 'Darwinism' as the latter is oft misrepresented particularly by philosophers (trying to claw back some of the 'metaphysical' ground lost to science) and religious followers.

As is usual on philosophy boards such as these it is simply a sounding board for the in-crowd. A reconfigured out-group. Tired (he, he little joke inserted there?!) and tested students of philosophy who like to shoot the shit, show off and accuse the unbelievers of infantilism.

All hail the dissidents. Truly it's all yours.....


same old same old
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Individuality   

Back to top Go down
 
Individuality
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Sociology-
Jump to: