Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Feeding the Multitude

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 am

Luke 9; 14 They were, in fact, about five thousand men. But he said to his disciples: “Have them recline as at meals, in groups of about fifty each.” 15 And they did so and had them all recline. 16 Then taking the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, blessed them and broke them up and began to give them to the disciples to set before the crowd. 17 So they all ate and were satisfied, and the surplus that they had was taken up, twelve baskets of fragments. 18 Later, while he was praying alone, the disciples came together to him, and he questioned them, saying: “Who are the crowds saying that I am?

What is the significance of this parable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 pm

won't you tell us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Drone wrote:
won't you tell us?

Sorry
Something for nothing
is worth nothing

The Bible is loaded from front to back
it is all parable
all are knowable instantly
to the open hearted
all are inscrutable
to the narrow minded
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Drone
Animated Voice
Animated Voice


Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

MagnetMan wrote:
Drone wrote:
won't you tell us?

Sorry
Something for nothing
is worth nothing

The Bible is loaded from front to back
it is all parable
all are knowable instantly
to the open hearted
all are inscrutable
to the narrow minded

what does that mean
you come here, post a quote from the bible,
ask what's the 'significance'
but don't want anyone to answer? bounce

'shit, man', Sad

do you really plan to speak to yourself here
like you have hitherto done at ILP?
you boring old fart... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Drone wrote:

you come here, post a quote from the bible,
ask what's the 'significance'
but don't want anyone to answer? bounce

Parables have different layers of meaning
for neophytes and for adepts.
They are the West's equivelent of Zen koens

Try and provide an answer

My theory is pseudo-intellects will beat around the bush
hoping to flush out an answer that they can then deride
and thereby keep fooling themselves about how smart they are
and continue to throw dung at religion

Genuine intellects will give it a shot
in the hope of learning something new

so far your slip is showing
go on give it a shot
I promise
this boring old fart won't laugh
I admire courage
I am interested to see how much of it
we have on this forum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:02 pm

MagnetMan wrote:
What is the significance of this parable?

do what ya' gotta do and get on with it.
Back to top Go down
Taras
Active Idealist
Active Idealist


Number of posts : 83
Location : Maidan Nezalezhnosti
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am

Jesus was concerned with PR?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedOfSilence
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:54 am

MagnetMan wrote:
Luke 9; 14 They were, in fact, about five thousand men. But he said to his disciples: “Have them recline as at meals, in groups of about fifty each.” 15 And they did so and had them all recline. 16 Then taking the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, blessed them and broke them up and began to give them to the disciples to set before the crowd. 17 So they all ate and were satisfied, and the surplus that they had was taken up, twelve baskets of fragments. 18 Later, while he was praying alone, the disciples came together to him, and he questioned them, saying: “Who are the crowds saying that I am?

What is the significance of this parable?

The significance can only be understood with the answer to "Who are the crowds saying that I am?" which is continued in Luke 9:19 :

19 They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again.

20 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.

21 And he straitly charged them, and commanded them to tell no man that thing;

22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.


Jesus is conflicted. He knows that he can perform miracles beyond even what he just performed. He's AFRAID to show his true power because he knows what the outcome of that will be. When he charges Peter for answering that Jesus is the Christ of God, Jesus is FACED with the horrific destiny of CRUCIFIXION, REJECTION and (presumbably) the pain of RESURRECTION.

Jesus is in conflict because he is trying to hide his Son of God status because he knows the punishment if people believe it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Drone wrote:
won't you tell us?

Work on the symbolism of the fish

and the twelve baskets
filled with uneaten bread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dannerz
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor


Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I think that to me,
the parable means:
Even if you only have a little bit of food, or other survival resources, if you share it, everyone can still survive and be okay. So I think it means we should share our food for free, and it will do miracles for humanity if we develop that kind of attitude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 am

dannerz wrote:
I think that to me,
the parable means:
Even if you only have a little bit of food, or other survival resources, if you share it, everyone can still survive and be okay. So I think it means we should share our food for free, and it will do miracles for humanity if we develop that kind of attitude.

Amen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Feeding the Multitude   

Back to top Go down
 
Feeding the Multitude
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Selenite
» I was Helen of Troy feeding shark fins to the poor
» Gave birth to a baby boy and I'm not pregnant (Starting to worry) Need Help interpreting this dream
» Tropical Cattle Production
» Steer Stuffer Suggestions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Religiosity-
Jump to: