Dissidents Philosophy Forum

Internet Philosophical Community
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 More men are atheists than women

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:08 pm

kriswest wrote:
There is a real possibility that the reason women are more spiritual is due to the fact men are not.

Or maybe because we live with guys and need some hope Laughing

Hope floats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:01 am

So do many other things. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Satyr
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 540
Age : 51
Location : The Edge
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 am

Surrendering to a masculine entity is part of the feminine psychology.

This is why females are more attracted to belonging to a omnipotent, omniscient, masculine God or to an abstraction of it exuding masculine energy.

It is the drive of self-denying, power, through association.
The male resists, wanting to be, himself, such an entity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://calicantsar.blogspot.com/
Lucretia
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 45
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 pm

That is strange. Actually that vaguely relates to another statistic that is no longer up to date, but the disparity is still shocking. There was a point at which 94 percent of people who consulted psychics, astrologists, tarot card readers and other crooked bastards for personal advice were women, and the remaining 6 percent consisted mostly of homosexual men.

Atheism is definitely the only correct choice, so women better catch up or there will be an argument for sexism. Religion has always been for the benefit of women, though.

Unreasonable wrote:
The discussion is: here

I am under the username: realunoriginal.

(And yes I am aware that I antagonized the moderator, because he attacked me first. I was aiming for them to confront me on the issue of incest.)

(Keep in mind this was about 4 months ago.)

Atheism does not lead to moral decadence, though. Nothing does, in fact. The trend of human history has been increased standards of moral conduct. In fact the progression of moral ideas assumes that all previously existing ones were less correct, and so the trend can only go in the upward direction simply because of the way language works. And incest is not inherently unethical, at least, it has no problems that require a different kind of ethical reasoning from any other sexual interaction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Lucretia wrote:
Atheism does not lead to moral decadence, though. Nothing does, in fact.
That is blatantly false. First you must have an extensive knowledge of Morality in general to even state such a thing!


Lucretia wrote:
The trend of human history has been increased standards of moral conduct.
I agree, but at what cost?

Atheism is Christian-Secular-Humanism. Anybody who calls himself an Atheist is a Christian-Secular-Humanist.

This is the hypocrisy I have already spoke of. Morals are mostly genetic and hardly memetic, at all.



Lucretia wrote:
In fact the progression of moral ideas assumes that all previously existing ones were less correct,
That is not true at all.

You are assuming a false-cause for Morality-itself.


Lucretia wrote:
and so the trend can only go in the upward direction simply because of the way language works.
Again, that is not true at all.


Lucretia wrote:
And incest is not inherently unethical, at least, it has no problems that require a different kind of ethical reasoning from any other sexual interaction.
I never said otherwise. I said incest was immoral, not "unethical".

But you are wrong again; incest does have problems within it linked to ethical reasoning. This is how the issue becomes a moral one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lucretia
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 45
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:16 pm

You have a tendency not to explain your reason for contradicting me. Elaborate more.

Why is the distinction Christian-Secular-Humanist useful? I enjoy Christianity but I do not live as Christ for the model of my conduct, so I am not a Christian. I am secular but this is not a useful distinction from atheist, and I am a humanist but plenty of atheists are not. What part of that is a hypocrisy? I'm an atheist because I believe in making sure processes for the rational discovery of knowledge are stressed in reasoning. It's not even a moral question in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:08 am

Lucretia wrote:
You have a tendency not to explain your reason for contradicting me. Elaborate more.

Why is the distinction Christian-Secular-Humanist useful? I enjoy Christianity but I do not live as Christ for the model of my conduct, so I am not a Christian. I am secular but this is not a useful distinction from atheist, and I am a humanist but plenty of atheists are not. What part of that is a hypocrisy? I'm an atheist because I believe in making sure processes for the rational discovery of knowledge are stressed in reasoning. It's not even a moral question in the first place.
If you live life by Jesus Christ and His rules, then you are a Christian without a name. You still follow in the same footsteps, morally-speaking.

And this is where we find Morality ingrained in the West. You have young men who go about life following 'rules' very blindly and without knowing where these 'rules' came from. But they run deep, in the blood so-to-speak. If an Atheist rejects religion, so be it. Where does he get his 'rules' from them, himself??? He does no such thing. A culture is defined by its past. Ergo, the West is defined by its past, steeped in piety, and steeped in a blood ancestry.

The West arose from Judeo-Christianity, a mixing of two faiths into a singularity. This name is "God".

Now, aside from all of this, we have just you and me, representatives of our respective societies. To say that you and I are Atheists when it may not be so, deceives everybody of our past. In other words, where did I come from? Where did you come from? What spirituality did we come from???

Atheism is a system of non-Morality. It attempts to negate God, and Christ, in order to denounce religion.



But, can this truly be done when the blood lives inside you? It depends on where you come from and why you are here.

Atheists have no name to honor. Thus, Atheism has no Purpose, nor, a Future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lucretia
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 45
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Your arguments remind me of feminism, they make unrelated connections in the same way. Atheists do draw morality from themselves. You have no basis for assuming God is the source of morality. If God does exist, he created people to be autonomous, meaning that God is accountable to human moral reasoning. And to that effect God often has acted grossly unethically if we are to believe the stories in the Bible.

And no, our ancestors have nothing to do with us. Any person is entirely autonomous and so any person in any time period under any cultural influence has the capacity to disregard his past and tradition entirely. Where I came from is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unreasonable
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 728
Age : 34
Location : Purgatory
Registration date : 2008-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 pm

Lucretia wrote:
Atheists do draw morality from themselves.
How and why?


Lucretia wrote:
You have no basis for assuming God is the source of morality.
How do you know my basis for assuming things?


Lucretia wrote:
If God does exist, he created people to be autonomous,
How do you know?


Lucretia wrote:
meaning that God is accountable to human moral reasoning.
That depends if you are correct or not in the previous statement.


Lucretia wrote:
And to that effect God often has acted grossly unethically if we are to believe the stories in the Bible.
I disagree.

Regard the stories in the Bible as mythos.


Lucretia wrote:
And no, our ancestors have nothing to do with us.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Kimwest, is that you?

How people can say these things is just completely beyond me... pale


Lucretia wrote:
Any person is entirely autonomous
Bold statement!!!

I disagree.


Lucretia wrote:
and so any person in any time period under any cultural influence has the capacity to disregard his past and tradition entirely.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Holy. Shit.


Lucretia wrote:
Where I came from is irrelevant.
To whom?

Not to me it is not!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Fool
Administrator
avatar

Male
Number of posts : 368
Age : 30
Location : United States Midwest
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 am

Lucretia wrote:
Your arguments remind me of feminism, they make unrelated connections in the same way. Atheists do draw morality from themselves. You have no basis for assuming God is the source of morality. If God does exist, he created people to be autonomous, meaning that God is accountable to human moral reasoning. And to that effect God often has acted grossly unethically if we are to believe the stories in the Bible.

And no, our ancestors have nothing to do with us. Any person is entirely autonomous and so any person in any time period under any cultural influence has the capacity to disregard his past and tradition entirely. Where I came from is irrelevant.

Actually in a way he is not too far off, of course this thread is about statistics not morality and god.

I suggest you two create another thread for that discussion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
Rhinoboy
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:32 am

The Fool wrote:
Statistically more men are atheists than women.

How about that? I wonder why that is.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/ar...



Last edited by Rhinoboy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Nahh, Rhino, women just look at it logically. Look at it this way, better safe then sorry. Women will win either way. If there is a god they are safe, if there is no god then no big deal they are safe. win win Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Psychonaut
Active Idealist
Active Idealist
avatar

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:00 am

What if Allah is real, or Shiva, or Wotan, or Ra, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or flying unicorn monkeys?

Jeez, logically hedging one's bets sure does sound like a lot of effort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice
avatar

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:16 am

Very Happy It is , it is,, its called family planning Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhinoboy
Potential Contributor
Potential Contributor
avatar

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 pm

-Psychonaut wrote:
What if Allah is real, or Shiva, or Wotan, or Ra, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or flying unicorn monkeys?

Jeez, logically hedging one's bets sure does sound like a lot of effort.

Go with Hinduism then, their idea of God is allot more liberal. Its not what you believe its why. In fact I think that most people who claim to be religious think this way(speculative based on personal experience). Its how the majority of Christians I know think. There is certainly more press on the liberalisation of accepting others beliefs, of course there will always be closed minded psychos in every religious standpoint (not withstanding atheism), but they are becoming fewer and further between.

If there is a God, and he's a bastard, he's not my God.
If there is a God and he is Loving and just a generally good guy. He will reward those of a like mind and upstanding achievements. (Whatever they believe)
If there is no God, well hell I've stood for the greater good even if the greater good is just an abstract notion, and seeing as the human mind thrives off such abstract notions (even if some humans will hate to admit it,) That's got to be a good thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: More men are atheists than women   

Back to top Go down
 
More men are atheists than women
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» The Ruling on kissing the Black Stone for Women when it is crowded.
» How women tell the world: 'hands off, he's mine!'
» Art History: 500 Years of Women Ignoring Men
» Iraqi Official: Hundreds Of Yazidi Women Held Captive By Islamic State
» Women and Prostitution. The Primal Instigators And Bane Of Men.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dissidents Philosophy Forum :: Global News-
Jump to: