View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Fool
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Behavior And Genetics   Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:07 am

How does one come to know specific genes responsible for even more specific forms of behavior and emotions?

When one looks through a microscope is there a sign written in ink on each particular gene claiming to be responsible for specific behaviors and emotions? Suspect

How do genetical scientists reach their various conclusions between the interaction of genes and behavior?

Again, how does one know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://dissidentsphilosophy.alldiscussion.net
kriswest
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Behavior And Genetics   Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 pm

You need Xunzian to answer that question. That is right up his alley.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Behavior And Genetics   Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:27 pm

The Fool wrote:
How does one come to know specific genes responsible for even more specific forms of behavior and emotions?
If you chose to believe that creation is a random accident, I do not have the faintest biological clue and have no desire to know, since I do not want any quack fucking with my genes and end up with some government manipulating my behavior more than they already are.

But if you chose to believe creation was by Design, then I can give you my intuitive answer. All of organic behavior from the very beginning of the evolutionary cycle 3 billion years ago to that fine day when the cycle finally completes itself in an Age yet to come. was predicated and imprinted in the first cell.

Randomness does have an effect, but only fractionally. Thus evolutionary adjustments have to be made every few million years. But that contingency is also allowed for.

Like Uncle Albert said; God does not play dice with the Universe. Maybe a little flutter now an again.
There is a dichotomy in my answer of course. If we do end up messing with genes, then that will have already been part of the design lol!
In which case I can only hope my trust in my intuition is sound and God knows what He is doing. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baldassare Cossa
Active Idealist
Active Idealist

Male
Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Behavior And Genetics   Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:35 am

across the board - the stats show genes on average, single or working together, contribute to around 44% of all behavioural function. Only on the rarest incidents [INCIDENTS!] will it be more.

Little problem - behavioural function is much less easy to define than the common little undergrad from some petty little degree mill cares to believe. This is for many reasons, namely, how are we to define a phenomenon we observe and overcome our own discourse in the descriptive process shaping behaviour?

This actually brings us to the nature-nurture conundrum, well, a conundrum for the degree mill herd. There is a very high degree of randomness in nature, extinction and species variety as well as individual variety on the physical level is a strong indicator. Furthermore, the sheer unpredictability of behaviour shows we cannot reasonably determine a persons future by genetic analysis. You can delude yourself thus - as phrenologists and nazi's have done [and sadly the ghosts of Galton and Cattell still linger...].

Genetic analysis is very much like neurobiology. Everyone has this very bizarre belief that by looking at 'brainscan', or drawing some blood, and 'correlating' it with a certain behaviour - we can make reasonable claims the same in all other circumstances.

I will say nothing here about Popper's refutation of the inductive issue, or even Hume's musing upon the issue of determining empirical knowledge and the problems of relating induction with extensionality or deducing thereof, nor will I say anything on Kuhn's position on the cultural and political 'perspectivity' [guess who first invented that term!] of science. Find out for yourself. It'll raise an eyebrow I assure you.

To put succinctly, a correlation between the physical and 'phenomenal' does not remotely permit the formulation of some sort of logic that will allow us a deterministic and predictive capability- the reason for this, also lies in the very simple rules of sequential algebra using nonlinear equations... And if you can't do your most basic math - well, when the bell rings the dog salivates Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maryshelley
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Behavior And Genetics   Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:31 am

And yet legislation appears to have a 'curbing' effect on certain behaviours. Ding a ling ling.

I heard we were 60% genes and 40% nurture. Posted it here somewhere.....

Coin a phrase like 'credit crunch' and predict behaviour.

Purse strings tighten.

ding a ling ling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagnetMan
Animated Voice
Animated Voice

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Behavior And Genetics   Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:14 pm

100,000 generations of ancestral social and spiritual evolutionary disciplines
underlies all human behavior